[PYTHON META-SIG] Organized web archives of the PSA SIG mailing lists - review

Ken Manheimer klm@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:19:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Ken Manheimer wrote:

> Andrew Kuchling has been developing pipermail
>
> 	<http://www.magnet.com/~amk/python/pipermail.html>,
> [...]
> What we seeking now is some judicious input about the layout,
> operational details, and general aesthetics.  Take a look at:
>
> 	<http://www.magnet.com/~amk/lists/>
>[...]
> I'll post my own, immediate suggestions, in a reply to this message.

I have a few off-the-bat suggestions for the structure:

 - Having all the sections of all the sigs together is, obviously, too
   cluttered.  We should have a master document which contains a link
   to an archive document for each of the sigs.  The sig-specific
   archive documents would contain links to each of the archive
   sections.  (And could be linked from the sig's general index.html.)

 - *If* it's easy to do, it'd be nice to have the archives subdivided
   only when the size of the yearly collection exceeds a certain
   threshold - say 200 messages.  (I really don't know what's
   appropriate, but my suspicion is that 200 is not too big.)

   It might be nice to take it a step further, and subdivide to months
   when a quarterly divisions exceeds the threshold.  And maybe even
   in the other direction - not subdivide a sig's mail to yearly
   sections until more than the threshold number of messages is
   accumulated...

   (Sectioning of the archives will be less disruptive when there is
   an archive search interface, for which andrew is also seeking
   comments.)

 - Andrew, concerning incorporating with the existing sigs structure -
   i would:

   - have a document for each sig (in the sig's dir) with links to
     each of the archive sections for that sig, and a search form for
     that sig's archives, and a link to the consolidate archives
     document (see below)
   - create a link to the sig's index.html to the archive collection
     for that sig, and an link to the consolidated archives document...
   - in the encompassing sigs directory create a document with links
     to the archives for each of the sigs, and a search that crosses
     the sigs
   - create link to the consolidated archive from the master sigs
     index.html

   For example (all below <http://www.python.org/>):

	sigs/

	    index.html		has link to sigs/archives.html

	    archives.html 	has links to each of the sig-specific
				collections, and consolidated search
	    meta-sig/

		index.html	has link to meta-sig/archives.html

		archives.html	has links to meta-sig archive sections,
				search of the meta-sig archives, and
				link to consolidated archive (and
				meta-sig index.html)

 - Aesthetic layout suggestions would be welcome - organization,
   expository descriptions, pictures...

Ken again.