[Moin-user] Windows and Moin (yes, the moin packages load).

Ransom ransom at telus.net
Thu Dec 5 06:39:02 EST 2002

Roger Haase wrote:

>The alias for /wiki/ is used internally by MoinMoin to access some
>utility files it needs.  Look at the /htdocs/ folder it is pointing to:
>on my installation there are only three sub-folders for .gif files,
>.css files, and applets (There is also an index.html in my /htdocs/
>which I think is extraneous).

This extraneous index.html really threw me.  I expected it to be valid
and do something useful.

>If you have changed or added enough
>stuff to get a page using localhost/wiki instead of localhost/mywiki,
>you may want to delete everything and just reinstall MoinMoin.  Try 2
>is always easier for me.
>
>If you are not already an IIS expert, dumping it for Apache is a good
>move I think.

I am fairly knowledgable about IIS, but I ran into a problem where I
could view wiki pages but not edit them. Some sort of permsission
problem I was unable to figure out.  In addition, Windows XP pro can
only serve 10 users and it can only serve one virtual host (I guess it
must have been a lot of work to parse the host name out of the http
header).  IIS is lame unless you have the server edition.  I would
suggest not using IIS if you don't have the server edition (and assuming
you don't experience the permission problem when editing wiki pages).

>The Apache configuration files can be a bit overwhelming
>but there are few changes required.  I added some suggestions to the
>docs HelpErrata at
>http://twistedmatrix.com/users/jh.twistd/moin/moin.cgi/HelpErrata to
>eliminate the .bat file and get MoinMoin working on my old Windows/me
>system.

The errata helped me greatly.  I never did get apache to execute the
.bat file.

I did tweak your errata

http://twistedmatrix.com/users/jh.twistd/moin/moin.cgi/HelpErrata

changed from
ScriptAlias /mywiki "C:/Moin/mywiki/moin.bat"
ScriptAlias /mywiki "C:/Moin/mywiki/moin.cgi"

which I inferred was what you intended to type from the context.

I encourage whoever maintains the documentation to incorporate Roger
Haase's errata into the distribution of the documentation.

>BTW, I ran a competing Wiki, "TWiki" on my Linux system (I don't think
>it runs on Windows as it requires Perl) for about three months and just
>finished converting everything to MoinMoin.  While Twiki has a few
>nicer features in the user registration area, MoinMoin has it beat in
>many ways.

Someone earlier on suggested I run linux.  Well, if I didn't use windows
for visual studio.net, I probably would switch.  I don't use Outlook or
outlook express because I find them hard to use.  Now I run apache too.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread with help!

Doug Ransom (mailto:doug.ransom at alumni.uvic.ca).