[Moin-user] Re: Re: PageTemplate oddity with moinmoin 1.3.1 as standalone with Python 2.4 under Windows Me

Alexander Schremmer 2004b at usenet.alexanderweb.de
Mon Jan 24 03:40:06 EST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:21:07 -0500, Brian van den Broek wrote:

>>>I've noticed an odd (to my mind) thing about page templates. When I
>>>define a new template with a name like SomeWikiNameEndingInTemplate
>>>and then try to create a new page, the newly created template does not
>>>show up in the available templates list. If I terminate the moin.py
>>>server process and then restart it, the new template is available when
>>>attempting to create new pages.

> I tried it out with 1.3.2, but the issue seems to persist. With both
> newly created templates and newly created categories, they don't show
> up when creating a new page until after I have terminated the DOS box
> with the moin.py Python process and restarted it. (I mean, the new
> template is not on the list of available templates and the new
> category is not in the drop down box when editing a page.) MoinMoin
> 1.3.2 standalone, Python 2.4, WindowsMe.

I can only think of one reason why this might fail. The list of all pages
is read using a cache (dircache). And that one checks if the modification
date of the pages directory has changed.
So my question is: do you run this from a plain local FAT partition? Or
somehow over the network etc.?

How to check if it is really the dircache:
 1. Start MoinMoin Standalone.
 2. Open the Windows Explorer in the directory which contains the pages
    directory, i.e. ...\data\
 3. Remember the modification time of the pages directory.
 4. Create a new page
 5. Press F5 in the Windows Explorer in order to refresh the view.
 6. Compare the modification date of the "pages" directory. It should show
    a different time now.

HTH,
Alexander