[Moin-user] Links to files on hard drive do not work

Nigel Harper nigel.harper at lightworkdesign.com
Fri May 13 03:27:59 EDT 2005

> That's all I can say. What is wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

I think it's the browsers rather than MoinMoin.  IIUC both IE post XP-SP2 &
Firefox (and I guess by extension Mozilla) will by default not load a
file:// link from an http:// page.  In the general case it's considered a
security risk, I think because it would potentially allow a remote site to
access your local files.

I don't know if there's much you can do about it - I found a config value
for Firefox which was supposed to help but didn't seem to do anything for
me, and of course enabling the functionality globally would expose you to
the security risk.

Nigel