[Moin-user] Themes, #prefix/share/moin/htdocs/ directory

Nir Soffer nirs at actcom.net.il
Sat Sep 10 15:25:00 EDT 2005

On 11 Sep, 2005, at 0:48, Fred Drake wrote:

> The installation and configuration instructions at
>

> http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling/WikiInstanceCreation
>
> don't state that I should copy the $prefix/share/moin/htdocs/
> directory to be part of my instance, so I haven't.

Good.

> I'd like to create
> a theme for my site so it fits with the other parts of my site.  But a
> theme appears to need not only a Python module in my wiki instance,
> but also two directories in the $prefix/share/moin/htdocs/ tree.

Correct in most cases.

If you want to change the behavior of your theme, but use the same
"look" as another theme, you don't have to create a new theme
directory.
See example of such theme at
<http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/ModernCmsTheme>.

> Am I missing something about how a theme can be defined?  I'd like to
> have a single place that defines a theme?

Its not possible currently, as theme has two parts, code and static
files. Static files are installed in your
prefix/share/moin/htdocs/theme, usually accessible at
<http://localhost/wiki/theme>

> I'd like to be able to have
> a theme that's shared across a wiki farm, rather than just a single
> wiki, but I don't want to store it inside the MoinMoin installation,
> since that makes it more difficult to switch between versions of the
> software (each version getting it's own prefix inside the opt/ tree).

Currently there is no farm plugin directory. Until we have one, you
have to install theme files in all the wikis, or use
symlinks/hardlinks.

The shared files of each theme should be at the htdocs directory, if
you want to share them with multiple versions of moin, you can copy or
link them from one location.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer