[Moin-user] UNC paths in moinmon

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:57:55 EST 2006

On 11/2/06, David Cramer <david at thingbag.net> wrote:
> D'oh here too...now that I actually read  the page rather than skimming
> for syntax. For Firefox users, I'll recommend installing the IE tabe
> extension and right clicking and selecting "Open in IE tab".
>
> One related gotcha is that if the path contains spaces, you apparently
> have to replace the spaces with %20 for it to work. I didn't see that
> anywhere in the moinmoin link syntax docs.

Yes, ultimately it's messy. Also, a link to a file (say, an Excel
spreadsheet) is opened in such a way that if you try to edit it and
then save it, you can't (it sees the original path as the URL, which
is read only, rather than as the actual filename, or something like
that).

In the end, I punted and wrote a macro to build local-file links,
using scripting and the Windows Scripting FileSystemObject to open
files "properly". It's IE-specific, and needs the Wiki to be made a
"trusted site" in IE, but it does the job for us.

(I can't post the code at the moment, it's at work and I'm not, but
let me know if you want it and I'll fish it out).

Paul.