[Moin-user] Why oh why!

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 10:59:41 EST 2008

Pierre,

In addition to everything Thomas and Reimer said, I'd like to add that I
personally keep up with the current releases, and try to document the major
changes and upgrade steps which many find useful.  It's also linked directly
from the MoinMoinDownload page, so it's easy to find.  :-)

http://moinmo.in/RickVanderveer/UpgradingFromMoin15ToMoin16

Some hints:
 - The guides are helpful, but they're still no excuse for reading the
DOCS/changes, that's were the real details are. My guide just helps will
specific examples, the order of steps, etc., which will get up and running
quickly.

 - perform the steps in order.  It's probably easier to go from 1.5 to 1.6
to 1.7 to 1.8, than it is to jump from 1.5 to 1.8.

 - The biggest, most painful jump is from 1.5 to 1.6.  Once you get past
that, the rest are easy.  For *next* time, I suggest doing a dry-run on a
back-up of the actual site (either on another machine, or using a virtual
machine such as VMware or VirtualBox).

 - Now that you're on the path of upgrading, I do recommend going all the
way to 1.8.  I too have mostly novice users, and was able to finally make
the GUI editor the default editor, which my users *love* (and my technical
folk are able to easily switch to the text editor for more power and
control).  The GUI editor alone makes the upgrade worth it (as it finally
silences those who complain that the wiki is "too hard" (we all know those
types)).

Hope this helps.  And please don't hesitate to contact this list if you get
stuck!

-Rick