[Moin-user] Upgrade to 1.6 A Painful Failure

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:50:17 EDT 2008

On 14 May 2008 11:52:35 -0700, Ted Stern wrote:

> On 14 May 2008 00:41:25 -0700, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Ted Stern <dodecatheon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 13 May 2008 14:42:21 -0700, Malte Helmert wrote:
>>>  >
>>>  > skip at pobox.com wrote:
>>>  >>     >> If you install the ChatZilla extension, yes, it does.
>>>  >>
>>>  >>     Paul> But AIUI it doesn't use HTTP, so if you are behind a firewall you
>>>  >>     Paul> may not be able to get IRC even via ChatZilla.
>>>  >>
>>>  >> Sure, if the irc port is blocked you'd be hosed.
>>>  >
>>>  > There are a number of web-based IRC clients which can be used if the
>>>  > IRC port is blocked. Googling for irc web client (no quotes) will
>>>  > find some options. I've tried one of them once with success, but
>>>  > can't remember which one. It's much more basic than a decent IRC
>>>  > client, but it's better than getting no access at all.
>>>  >
>>>  > Malte
>>>  >

>>>  This looks reasonable.  It is not anonymous, your IP address is
>>>  recorded.
>>>
>>>           http://www.mibbit.com/
>>>
>> This looks great !   Which server do I select ? Which channel ?
>
> Someone has helpfully added a mibbit.com link to the
> http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinChat page, all configured to start you up in
> the right place.  If you are doing this by hand, the channel you want is
>
>      #moin
> or
>      #moin-dev
>

> Use the Freenode.net pull down as the server.

One thing about that "helpful" link -- it uses chat.freenode.net as
the server, which is located in Sweden.

I'd recommend changing the link to something closer to you.  From the
following list,

          http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml

I found zelazny in Oregon to be closest, so I changed
'chat.freenode.net' in the URL to 'zelazny.freenode.net' like so:

     http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=zelazny.freenode.net&channel=%23moin

Ted

>> Thanks,
>> Sebastian

 dodecatheon at gmail dot com
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal