[Moin-user] 1.6 Attachment syntax

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:29:10 EDT 2008

(Developers, please don't read this as a rant, we love your software!
Consider this feedback from the field :)

I agree, this continues to be a problem for us as well.  And, from my users
perspective, seems to fly in the face of "ease of use" of a wiki.

I know it's been discussed on this list already, that the developers have
good reason to do this. But it continues to confound users.

As I understand it, the developers want to be able to display the attachment
if it's able to do so.  However, I think few of us in the real-world wants
that behavior.  I think we want a download to be a download.  For example,
we don't want the contents of a zip displayed when the link is clicked, we
want it to download to the users' machine. Same with many attachments,
whether it's a Word doc (which MS long ago disabled the viewing within IE)
or a PDF; all these are typically forms or other files where the user needs
to download and print out, or wants a local copy, etc.

My suggestion is, if the developers want to be able to display an
attachment, perhaps this should be done with {{ }} or something.  But, we
would love to have our [[download]] back!  :-)

-Rick