[Moin-user] recent visited pages

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:09:28 EST 2008

Hey Don,

Re: Google Desktop--
Thinking this thru, having Google Desktop index your wiki pages would
actually be a lousy idea.  First of all, moin wiki has searching built-in,
and it works quite well.  For a personal wiki, text searching is quite fast.
Even on our corporate wiki, where we have thousands of pages, and text
searching is still extremely fast (and we're not even running Xapian or any
other indexing engine).

The problem with using Google Desktop on you wiki would be:

   - first, if you typed in a keyword to search your wiki, it will return
   both current and all past history edits.  So, instead returning just a few
   relevent results, you would have a results-return of all the past revisions
   as well. So, with lots of edits and revisions, you would get a lot of noise.
   - secondly, if you tried to open that page, all you'd get is a text file.
   Remember that the wiki is constructing the page from a bunch of different
   files, with the content being just one of them.  It wouldn't open
   automatically within the wiki where it would be nicely formated.  Instead,
   you'd be looking at a text page where the relative links wouldn't work, and
   formatting would be like '''bold''' instead of actually showing the text in
   bold.

So, my advice is use the wiki as it was meant to be used, not fight it with
something like Google Desktop.  :-)

-Rick