[Moin-user] Installing MoinMoin on a typical web host

Marcel Stör marcel at frightanic.com
Sun Dec 6 14:51:23 EST 2009

On 06.12.2009, at 20:31, Thomas Waldmann wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 13:32 +0100, Marcel Stör wrote:
>> For someone coming from the PHP-corner going through the install docs
>> at http://master19.moinmo.in/InstallDocs/ can be a somewhat
>> intimidating experience. At least if the "1 minute MoinMoin install"
>> doesn't suit you.
>
> Well, php is easy because your web hoster installed mod_php and
> configured everything for you, so you can just drop in your php files
> and it works.
>
> You could have a similar experience with mod_wsgi and WSGI python apps
> (moin is one), but only if your hoster really cares about Python/WSGI
> and installs/configures that for you.
>
> The bad news is that most hosters don't, but let you alone with slow
> cgi
> or rather complicated fastcgi.
>
>> I would like use MoinMoin on the hosting account with my ISP i.e. I
>> don't run my own server. Therefore, I don't have admin rights, I
>> can't
>> control Apache by myself and I can't use a shell.
>
> That's not quite the most comfortable environment to install moin
> into.
>
> I am not saying that it is impossible, but it is somehow like painting
> the living room through the keyhole. The best approach to make that
> not
> a complete pain is maybe to replicate your hoster's setup locally,
> make
> it work locally and then, after you have all working, ftp everything
> the other side.
>
>> FTP...I can also set up virtual directories (activating CGI and
>> FastCGI for them) and I can configure mod_rewrite rules.
>
> For both cgi and fastcgi, with moin 1.9, you'll have to use some (e.g.
> "flup") middleware to convert that to wsgi. Please read flup's and
> apache's docs about that (and have a look into wiki/server/
> directory in
> your moin download). As soon as you manage to run any (test) wsgi
> app on
> your host, you are ready for moin and for our docs.
>
>> Looking at Python as "just another scripting language" (I assume for
>> those who love it it's a bit more ;-)) I assume that it should be
>> possible to run MoinMoin in such a confined environment. I simply
>> haven't found related hints the docs or the FAQ.
>
> We only document running moin as a wsgi app, because wsgi is our
> interface to the outer world.
>
> We won't document how you have to use apache or flup (or any other web
> server or middleware needed), because there is better docs for that
> written by other people.
>
> BTW, moin 1.8.x still offers a direct (fast)cgi interface, but the
> future (1.9 and beyond) will be wsgi, for good reasons. :)

Ok, what I understood or rather "interpreted" going through the
various installation documents:
- if I can access and run myhost//wiki/server/test.wsgi once the
archive is on the server I know that the host supports wsgi
- then I'd have to follow http://moinmo.in/HowTo/Run%20Moin%20using%20the%20download%20archive
  because it's this document that describes the setup without setup.py

Correct?

Regards,
Marcel

--