[Moin-user] acl problem

Eric Johnson eric at tibco.com
Mon Oct 26 11:50:53 EDT 2009

Hi Kai,

I would suspect that in a typical setup, Admins will have access to the
backend storage anyway. Doesn't really matter if you restrict their
access to the front-end HTML view of MoinMoin, because they could just
go look at the raw data on the back-end.

If you do get the server admins != MoinMoin admins, then you might work
around this issue by playing with the acl_rights_before and
acl_rights_default settings, and make Admin access a "default" state.

Seems like you're playing loosely with the notion of "admin", if, in
fact "admin" cannot work with all pages in the wiki - fixing broken
links, fixing access control lists (what if you decided to leave your
job - who would fix the ACLs on your page?), deleting stale pages,
renaming badly named pages, etc.

In my company, we've dealt with this by setting up a farm, and different
wikis in the farm have different administrators.

Alternately, if this really is for personal content, could you just set
up a MoinMoin personal instance?

-Eric.