[Moin-user] Running moin reliably from a thumbdrive

R.Bauer rb.proj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 03:44:59 EST 2011

Am 11.03.2011 04:16, schrieb Peter Olsen:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I need to be able to run moinmoin desktop from a thumbdrive.  I
> haven't been able to make that work.  Can someone offer advice?
>
> I've been running moinmoin desktop as a PIM and records organizer for
> both personal and professional information for about six years.  I
> need to have access from both my home and work computers.  Until
> recently I'd been synchronizing my different computers using
> mobile.me, but recent changes in our corporate IT security rules have
> made that impossible.
>
> My only option seems to be to run moin from a thumbdrive,  but I can't
> get moinmoin to run reliably.  Sometimes it crashes with "Module not
> found" and sometimes it crashes with a cache error.
>
> Perhaps I could keep just the data on the thumb drive and move the
> moin code to my hard drive, but I haven't been able to get moin to
> look on the thumbdrive for its data.
>
> If I can't get moin working, then probably I'll have to dump my
> current database as static HTML files and start using something else.
> I've heard good reports of the Squeak Swiki.  But my first choice is
> to stay with moin if there is any way I can get things to work.
>
> Peter
>

> Some details:
>
>   I'm running Python 2.6.4 under Max OS X 10.5.  I've been using  I've
> tried moin-1.84, -1.8.8, and -1.9.3 with all the data in the local
> wiki/data/pages directory.  I use the built-in server. I've got about
> 1000 pages of data and, I believe, about 2000 pages of attachments.  I
> don't know how many revision files, etc.  The path on my thumbdrive
> is /ThumbRoot/Wiki/moin-1.8.4/wikiserver.py.  Data is at ThumbRoot/
> Wiki/moin-1.8.4/wiki/data/pages.  I've tried starting the server both
> from the GUI and from a terminal window.  In the terminal, I've tried
> starting it from within the directory (./wikiserver.py) and using a
> full path name (/Volumes/.../Wiki/moin-1.8.4/wikiserver.py)  The
> method of call didn't seem to make a difference.

Just some notes:

if you move your data to a more recent moin version you need to migrate
this data and to clean the cache

moin .. migration data
moin .. maint cleancache

if you have different python versions on your systems you need to run
moin .. maint cleancache.

you can also use the moin cli server command (HelpOnMoinCommand) to
start the standalone server.

Reimar