[moin-user] Can't index PDF attachments (bug?)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 10:24:24 EST 2018

On Monday 3. December 2018 15.34.04 Volker Wysk wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what you mean by "additional security framework".
> >
> > Well, I gave some examples. Basically anything that may intercept/forbid
> > file access.
>
> And this thing should block access to the PDF attachments in the Moinmoin
> database. Doesn't sound very plausible. Unless if Moinmoin would use
> something like this, and it's a bug...

I can imagine SELinux causing a problem in a situation like this because it
seems like Moin is expected to be able to run another program to perform the
indexing (from my brief perusal of this thread). Anyone who has had to
configure Web applications for SELinux will confirm that it is easy to miss
some kind of permission or other that might be needed, either related to
executing other programs or accessing network or file resources.

> > Ubuntu comes with apparmor, while some redhat (fedora?) dists come with
> > selinux.
> >
> > ACLs can be checked with the respective commands, see man acl.
>
> Okay, thanks for the info. But I can't remember having done anything like
> that. It's completely new to me.
>
> The missing ability to search in attached PDF files isn't a show stopper for
> me. I think I'll just leave it this way.
>
> Thanks for your time. :-)

Which distribution are you using? If it is one of the Red Hat family (Fedora,
CentOS, RHEL), it is entirely possible that SELinux is switched on by default
and that you won't have made any decision about it. So it is worth checking in
case you have other problems in future. I cannot comment about AppArmor, but
that is also worth investigating for certain distros (Ubuntu, maybe SuSE).

I can't give quick answers about this because I run Debian and don't have
these things enabled, but I hope you will be able to investigate further.

Paul