[Neuroimaging] When to use neurostars, and when not to

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:15:06 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Michael Hanke <michael.hanke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please allow me to hijack some of this thread and ask for feedback on how to
> guide users to find help. For the upcoming relaunch of neuro.debian.net we
> have drafted this (example for nibabel):
>
> http://neurodebian.ovgu.de/pkgs/python-nibabel.html
>
> If you click the "help" button you can see how we envision this guidance.
>
> Here is a more featureful example:
>
> http://neurodebian.ovgu.de/pkgs/fsl-core.html
>
> You can see that neurostars will be recommended for most cases. I'd be glad
> to get your feedback and any suggestions for improvements.

Why yes - I do have a suggestion - I recommend you refer people to the
relevant mailing lists!

But more seriously - we have a serious issue here which is about the
balance of convenience and accessibility against the quality of the
community that results.  We don't have enough data to know how this
will pan out yet, but my strong instinct is that the risks of moving
user discussion and questions to neurostar-type forums are rather
high, and not worth the gain.

Cheers,

Matthew