[Neuroimaging] PAR/REC scaling in nibabel

Mike Jarrett mike.jarrett at ubc.ca
Fri Aug 18 01:18:29 EDT 2017

Hello experts!

After some trial and error, I've discovered that (at least in the cases
I've checked), the default action of nib.parrec.load('file.PAR') is to
scale the rec image to "display values".

In other words,
> nib.parrec.load('file.PAR').get_data()
returns the same values as
> nib.parrec.load('file.PAR',scaling='dv').get_data()

Is this the intended behaviour? The docs don't seem to explicitly say that
scaling='dv' is the default, only that setting the scaling value is
optional. I had naively expected that not setting a preferred scaling would
return the raw unscaled values.

Could anyone shed light on this for me? I now know I can just set
scaling='fp' to get floating point values, but it would put my mind at ease
if someone could confirm that I'm looking at this correctly.

Thanks!

Mike Jarrett