[Neuroimaging] [DIPY] propagator anisotropy estimation using MAP(L)MRI

Rutger Fick fick.rutger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 06:06:28 EDT 2018

Hi Ping,

That's a great dataset you're using!

Estimating the MC-MDI model itself is quite fast, I think a full HCP
subject takes less than an hour.
However, the secondary parametric FOD estimation in the example (optimizing
2 bundles with slow but accurate MIX approach [1]) takes more than a second
per voxel.
You can speed this up by using more cores to parallelize the optimization
more, but it will inherently not be very fast [1].
Alternatively, you can choose to only fit one bundle and use "brute2fine"
optimization, which is much faster and probably feasible to fit to all your
volumes in a more reasonable time.

Moreover, investigating the dispersion in crossings using this 2-bundle
MC-MDI model is very interesting (and has not been done as far as I know),
but I don't recommend to fit this model to your data as a whole.
Fitting a 2-bundle model to single-bundle data is a degenerate problem
(many solutions with similar fitting error), so the dispersion parameters
outside crossing bundles won't be meaningful (see our NODDIx example
<http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/AthenaEPI/mipy/blob/master/examples/example_mix_microstructure_imaging_in_crossings.ipynb>
).
To still use this 2-bundle model, I suggest to make a mask where you know
there is more than 1 peak (using CSD for example), and only fit the
multi-bundle model inside these ROIs.

If you're also interested in using tractography-based comparison on your
dataset, we'll also soon release CSD-based FOD estimation for the MC-MDI
model (winning method of 2017 ISMRM tractography competition
<https://my.vanderbilt.edu/ismrmtraced2017/>).

Let me know how it goes :-)
Rutger

[1] Farooq, Hamza, et al. "Microstructure imaging of crossing (MIX) white
matter fibers from diffusion MRI." *Scientific reports* 6 (2016): 38927.