[Neuroimaging] Understanding atlas usage

Alessandro Stranieri alessandro.stranieri at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 11:26:58 EST 2018

Hi,

I am working on a small project with the adhd data. My background is
software engineering, but I am very new to nipy and neuroscience in general
so I might get some terminology wrong.

Currently I am working my way through the correlation/connectome examples.
I have a few doubts but, in order to keep it simple, I will just
post a couple, hoping for help.

1. The fetch_adhd functions states that a maximum of 40 subjects can be
retrieved. This means that if I want to use more, I need to do all the
processing myself from the files at
https://www.nitrc.org. Is it correct?

2. nilearn provides some atlases and I have more or less understood how to
use them. However, on NITRC one can also find 2 functional parcellation
templates, and time series are provided
for those parcellations. I think I managed to create and display
connectomes with those templates but, what if I want to know the label of a
region? Those regions are labelled by numbers.
For example, if I use the aal atlas, I can see 'Precentral_L',
'Precental_R' and so on. Can I do the same with the cc200 for example? I
fear that, since those parcellation are functional
and not anatomical, there are no real labels associated to the region. But
I would still like to have a data-structure that allows me to query things
like: this region is in V1, or in the
frontal lobe or other.

Best Regards,
Alessandro