[Neuroimaging] why 2 affine transforms in the nifti

Demian Wassermann demian.wassermann at inria.fr
Fri Jul 9 05:13:31 EDT 2021

Dear Romain,

I think that you refer to the qform and sform transforms. If I’m not wrong the main idea of storing these two transforms is that qform transforms between voxel space and subject space in mm, and that sform transforms between voxel space and a “standard space” such as ACPC, or talairach (see https://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/nifti-1/documentation/nifti1fields/nifti1fields_pages/qsform.html ) so you’d encode the output of a linear registration towards such standard space. Then there is of course the issue of poor documentation and then the way the data is used despite the standard’s intent

Best
Demian
--
Demian Wassermann, PhD, HdR
demian.wassermann at inria.fr
Associate Research Professor (CRCN)
Parietal Team
INRIA Saclay Ile-de-France
1 Rue Honoré d'Estienne d'Orves, 91120 Palaiseau