[Neuroimaging] why 2 affine transforms in the nifti

VRomain romain.valabregue at upmc.fr
Fri Jul 9 07:06:58 EDT 2021

Yes thanks for the reference, that is indeed the right place to start,

so ok it is recommended to use qform for the "subject space", and the
sform for "standard space" but note that this is set by the
[sq]form_code  and nothing prevent you to do the opposite of the
recommendation with sform_code=1 and qform_code=2 for instance.

the doc, say you may need the both depending on the use case, but no way
to know which one to use if both [sq]form_code are >0 (ok it is
depending on the use case ...)

Just as an example of inconsistency, when you convert from dicom to
nifti, you usually get both sform and qform set, with [sq]form_code to
1. but if you write an image with sitk, only the qform is set.

Many coregistration tools (fsl, freesurfer, ants, niftireg) make the
choice to do not change the nifti header and to write the coregistration
affine in a separate file, so for them, I do not see a need of 2 affines
... (this is the best choice to avoid any confusion, and then you can
have as many registration to as many template you wish !)

Only spm (as far as I know), decide to change the nifti header after a
coregistration. It has the advantage, that they then do not need to
compose affine and non-linear registration (you can directly apply the
non-linear field, because thanks to the header change, the affine
registration is already applied) ... but even for that there is no need
of 2 transform: (they could also change the affine, if there was only
one in the header !)

is there any tools or use case, that need this 2 transforms ?

May be I am concern because I made the wrong choice to use spm
coregister at the first place (old habit take time to change ...). When
I mixt with other tools for other task, I may end up having problems ...

if you stay with other coregistration tool, you just do not care and
stay with 2 identical affine stored in the header ...