[Numpy-discussion] Half baked C API?

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Mar 16 16:53:57 EST 2005

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
> On 16.03.2005, at 02:34, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
>
>> do it. Note that for ranlib, the header files are actually installed
>> as Numeric/ranlib.h, but as far as I know it is not possible to link
>> a  C extension module to Numerical Python's ranlib at the C level. So
>> I  would welcome what Ralf is suggesting.
>>
> That's not possible in a portable way, right.

I'm not sure why that wouldn't be portable, since we wouldn't be
distributing binaries. The idea is that both a ranlib/blas/lapack
library and the extension module is compiled when installing Numerical
Python, installing the library in /usr/local/lib/python2.4/Numeric (and
the module as usual in /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric).
Extension modules that what to use ranlib/blas/lapack at the C level can
then use the include file from /usr/local/include/python2.4/Numeric and
link to the library in /usr/local/lib/python2.4/Numeric.

Well maybe I'm missing something basic here ...

--Michiel.