[Numpy-discussion] Half baked C API?

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Mar 17 09:13:08 EST 2005

On 17.03.2005, at 01:51, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:

> I'm not sure why that wouldn't be portable, since we wouldn't be
> distributing binaries. The idea is that both a ranlib/blas/lapack
> library and the extension

In general, shared library A cannot rely on having access to the
symbols of shared library B. So if shared library A (NumPy) wants to
make symbols that it got from ranlib or BLAS available to other
modules, it must make them available through C objects.

> ranlib/blas/lapack at the C level can then use the include file from
> /usr/local/include/python2.4/Numeric and link to the library in
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/Numeric.

If it placed there as a standard linkable library, that would of course
work, but that would be an additional step in NumPy installation. I am
not sure it's a good idea in the long run. I'd rather have libraries of
general interests in /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,