[Numpy-discussion] Re: numarray 1.3.1 setup patch for mac OS X veclib

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri May 27 10:20:36 EDT 2005

Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 11:09, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> My apologies, but I seem to have made a mistake in the distutils patch
>> for OS X, which has unfortunately made it into the latest 1.3.2
>> release.
>>
>> The bottom line is, I think, that we need an explicit include dir for
>> cblas.h, rather than framework.
>>
>> Thus, we really need to add the following line to cfg_packages.py:
>>          lapack_include_dirs +=
>> ['/System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Headers']
>> in the block that deals with the veclib framework (around line 53)
>>
>> This should be generic -- it's a symlink to the current version -- but I
>> don't know if there's a better way to auto-generate the dir name.
>>
>> Sorry for not testing thoroughly enough!
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Thanks for the new include dirs and for the original patch.  They're
> both now in CVS.  Since the default Mac OS-X non-vecLib build works
> fine,  I'm going to wait a few weeks for 1.3.3.
>
> I have related question though:  Should USE_LAPACK be the default for
> Mac OS-X?  Is the vecLib framework is *always* there?

At least for any Mac with 10.2 or higher.

I've made it the default for Numeric in 24.0b2: if found, it'll be
used. It looks for the framework directory (which is *always* guaranteed
to be /System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework).

While you're looking at Numeric, you may want to look at the new
separation of customization code from setup.py :-) I have zero time
right now, or otherwise I'd port it to numarray.