[Numpy-discussion] Numeric-24.0b2 installation problem

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri May 27 10:30:06 EDT 2005

Justin <dlyzxl at yahoo.com> writes:

> Dear friends:
>
> I got an installation problem as following:
>
> [rathlefs at ishmael ~/uploads/Numeric-24.0b2]$ ./python setup.py install
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> building '_numpy' extension
> cc -DNDEBUG -O -IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include -I/home/
> rathlefs/languages/activePython/include/python2.4 -c Src/_numpymodule.c -o
> build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.4/Src/_numpymodule.o
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1
>
> and I am guessing it is related to C compiler, and got suggestion from system
> administrator as following:
>
> The only compiler on the system is the GNU C compiler. Try
> using /usr/local/bin/gcc
> /usr/ucb/cc is only a wraper the the Sun compiler, which is not
> installed
>
> __________________________________
>
> I am only an user for the solaris system (Ultra-sparc III) and want to install
> the Numerical Python under my account. I already installed activePython2.4.1
> under my account successfully . Can anyone give me some suggestion about the
> installation?

Hmm, it should be using the compiler that was used to compile your
Python. Check if you've got a environment variable CC defined (echo
$CC at the command line). If you do, remove it. If you don't, set it
to gcc, and try again.

If you've got trouble compiling Numeric, you'll probably have trouble
compiling all other extensions. Have a look in the Makefile that was
installed with Python (from the paths in your output above, I figure
it's at
/home/rathlefs/languages/activePython/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile)
and check to see what the CC variable is defined as. If it's not gcc,
then I would assume that your Python was built with cc.

Is Active Python for Solaris a binary distribution (as in, it doesn't
compile it from source)? If that's so, it was probably done with the
Sun compiler, and would expect to use that for compiling extensions.
If that's the case, I'd look into compiling Python from source (it's
really not that hard), which will use your GCC compiler. I have *no
idea* on the compatibility of the Sun and GCC compilers (but I can
tell you that if you've got C++ code, they aren't). I know I've run
into fun on Alpha machines, trying to mix the Compaq compiler and GCC.