[Numpy-discussion] updated Ubuntu Dapper packages for numpy, matplotlib, and scipy online

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jun 20 00:26:34 EDT 2006

Andrew Straw wrote:
> I have updated the apt repository I maintain for Ubuntu's Dapper, which
> now includes:
>
> numpy
> matplotlib
> scipy
>
> Each package is from a recent SVN checkout and should thus be regarded
> as "bleeding edge". The repository has a new URL:
> http://debs.astraw.com/dapper/ I intend to keep this repository online
> for an extended duration. If you want to put this repository in your
> sources list, you need to add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list::
>  deb http://debs.astraw.com/ dapper/
>  deb-src http://debs.astraw.com/ dapper/
>
> I have not yet investigated the use of ATLAS in building or using the
> numpy binaries, and if performance is critical for you, please evaluate
> speed before using it. I intend to visit this issue, but I cannot say when.
>
> The Debian source packages were generated using stdeb, [
> http://stdeb.python-hosting.com/ ] a Python to Debian source package
> conversion utility I wrote. stdeb does not build packages that follow
> the Debian Python Policy, so the packages here may be slighly unusual
> compared to Python packages in the official Debian or Ubuntu
> repositiories. For example, example scripts do not get installed, and no
> documentation is installed. Future releases of stdeb may resolve these
> issues.
>
> As always, feedback is very appreciated.

That's great. Last week, I sended several messages to the list regarding
your messages about debian packages for numpy, but it looks they were
lost somewhere....

Right now, I use the experimental package of debian + svn sources for
numpy, and it works well. Is your approach based on this work, or is it
totally different (on debian/ubuntu, packaging numpy + atlas should be
easy, as the atlas+lapack library is compiled such as to be complete),

David