[Numpy-discussion] can't build numpy 1.2.0 under python 2.6 (windows-amd64) using VS9

Ravi lists_ravi at lavabit.com
Wed Oct 8 09:41:23 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 03:39:32 David Cournapeau wrote:
> Note that 1.2.0 does not officially support python 2.6, specially on
> windows. Because python 2.6 uses a new toolchain (VS 2008 by default
> instead of 2003), it requires some non trivial changes.

How extensive are these non-trivial changes? I could help test any changes. My
problem is one that should be familiar to most people working in a large
organization. I am trying to sneak in python+scipy as a replacement for
Matlab, mostly by ensuring that python is used as the embedded scripting
language for a signal processing simulation platform. (The ability to embed
python, especially with seamless interoperability between numpy arrays and
boost ublas vectors/matrices, is something Matlab cannot match.)

The majority of my colleagues work on Windows and are very resistant to
toolset changes. Hence, from my perspective, whenever a new project starts, it
is very important to start with the latest version of any software packages
used. Usually, over the typical 3-4 year lifetime of a project, the tools are
never updated unless there is an absolutely critical bug fix. We are still on
python 2.2 for a couple of currently active projects (neither of which uses
numpy). For the next project, I was hoping to use Python 2.6 + numpy 1.2 as
the base versions, but that seems unworkable now.

> I hope that all those changes will be in place for numpy 1.3,

Is there an idea of the timeframe for numpy 1.3?

Regards,
Ravi