[Numpy-discussion] ValueError: setting an array element with sequence.

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Sep 16 11:42:43 EDT 2008

On 9/16/2008 11:05 AM Lisa Delgado apparently wrote:
> I had previously run a program successfully when using numpy 1.1.0. I just
> downloaded the Enthought Python Distribution, which has numpy 1.0.4 and am now
> having problems running my program. I get the following error.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Users/Lisa/Documents/Dissertation work/PythonPrograms/NashEq.py", line
> 57, in <module>
>     EffortCosts[i,j] = buyeragents[i][j]
> ValueError: setting an array element with a sequence.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

It looks from the error that buyeragents[i][j]
is a sequence, while you expect it to be a number.
Most likely, this is *not* due to your change of
NumPy version, but rather to some change you have
made in the descriptionof buyeragents.

Alan Isaac

PS Is this your own program for finding Nash equilibrium?
If not, which one are you using?