[Numpy-discussion] view takes no keyword arguments exception

Jochen Schroeder cycomanic at gmail.com
Wed May 20 21:57:55 EDT 2009

On 21/05/09 00:20, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> Hi Jochen
>
> 2009/5/20 Jochen Schroeder <cycomanic at gmail.com>:
> > I'm trying to help someone out with some problems with pyfftw
> > (pyfftw.berlios.de). He is seeing an exception,
> >
> > TypeError: view() takes no keyword arguments
> >
> > This doesn't only happen when he uses pyfftw but also when he does the
> > following:

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> > TypeError: view() takes no keyword arguments
> >
> > I he's on Windows and sees this error both with numpy 1.1.1 and 1.3.
> > I'm a bit lost anybody have an idea what could be the problem?
>
> In the older versions of numpy, a.view(float) should work (float is
> preferable above 'float' as well), but I would guess that you are
> really looking for
>
> a.astype(float)

Sorry maybe I phrased my question wrongly.  I don't want to change the code (This was just a short example).
I just want to know why it is failing on his system and what he
can do so that a.view(dtype='...') is working. I suspected it was an old
numpy installation but the person is saying that he installed a new
version and is still seeing the same problem (or does he just have an
old version of numpy floating around).

Cheers
Jochen