[Numpy-discussion] Building Windows binaries on OS X

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:14:06 EST 2010

Hi David and all,

I have a few questions on setting up the build environment on OS X for
Windows binaries. I have Wine installed with Python 2.5 and 2.6, MakeNsis
and MinGW. The first question is what is meant in the Paver script by "cpuid
plugin". Wine seems to know what to do with a cpuid instruction, but I can
not find a plugin. Searching for "cpuid plugin" turns up nothing except the
NumPy pavement.py file. What is this?

Second question is about Fortran. It's needed for SciPy at least, so I may
as well get it right now. MinGW only comes with g77, and this page:
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Windows says that this is the default
compiler. So Fortran 77 on Windows and Fortran 95 on OS X as defaults, is
that right? No need for g95/gfortran at all?

Final question is about Atlas and friends. Is 3.8.3 the best version to
install? Does it compile out of the box under Wine? Is this page
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Windows still up-to-date with regard
to the Lapack/Atlas info and does it apply for Wine?  And do I have to
compile it three times, with the only difference the '-arch' flag set to
"SSE2", "SSE3" and "<what's NoSSE?>"?

Thanks,
Ralf