[Numpy-discussion] Development workflow

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Tue Oct 12 06:22:15 EDT 2010

Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:48:07 +0200, Pierre GM wrote:
[clip]
> Till I'm at it, would there be anybody patient to hold my hand and tell
> me how to backport changes from one branch to another?

I do it like this:

	# create a local branch for integrating backports
	# needs to be done only once -- just reuse it afterwards
	git branch upstream/maintenance/1.5.x maintenance/1.5.x

After that, things go like this

	# switch to the local backport integration branch
	git checkout maintenance/1.5.x

	# ensure it's up-to-date vs upstream
	git pull --rebase

	# figure out what patches to get
	git log upstream/master

	# shameless plug: github.com/pv/git-cherry-tree
	git cherry-tree upstream/master

	# cherry pick patches
	git cherry-pick -x ad390f0fa

	# test, just to be sure

	# push the local branch upstream
	git push upstream maintenance/1.5.x

> There are just
> some minor changes in the current master/numpy/ma/core.py that could go
> to maintenance/1.5.x/numpy/ma/core.py. Corollary: how do I branch from a
> branch?

	git branch old_branch new_branch

--
Pauli Virtanen