[Numpy-discussion] Need help for the migration from Numeric to numpy

Frank Thommen structures-it at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 14 12:46:07 EDT 2010

Christopher Barker wrote:
> On 10/14/10 12:20 AM, Frank Thommen wrote:
>> I'm trying to help a user to migrate from Numeric to numpy.  I found
>> reference to alter_code1.py on
>> http://numpy.scipy.org/old_array_packages.html.
>
> How much code is this?

We are speaking of potentially several hundred files.  It's part of the
scientific work of the user of the last nine years...  Part of the
problem is, that his Python/Numeric installation is 32bit and he has the
last 32bit computer in the department.  This installation doesn't work
with a 64bit Linux even with all 32bit compatibility libraries
installed.  :-]

> I always just did the conversion by hand (with search and replace, of
> course!) -- it was never a big deal. It gave me the opportunity to tweak
> the code to ways that work better in numpy anyway.
>
> Unless you've got a LOT of code to do, I'd just change "Numeric" to
> "numpy" and start testing.
>
> Or run the conversion script, then test -- but I'd look at a diff too,
> just to make sure you understand what the script did.

Which conversion script do you mean?  I couldn't find any conversion
script that works or comes close to working.

Cheers

     frank

--
Frank Thommen - Structures IT Management and Support - EMBL Heidelberg
structures-it at embl-heidelberg.de - +49 6221 387 8353