[Numpy-discussion] Should we make the master branch backward compatible.

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:19:55 EST 2011

On 01/27/2011 10:58 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Mark Wiebe has proposed making the master branch backward compatible with
>> 1.5. The argument for doing this is that 1) removing the new bits for new
>> releases is a chore as the refactor schedule slips and 2) the new ABI isn't
>> settled and keeping the current code in won't help with the merge. Mark
>> thinks it is possible to keep the datetime types along with the new half
>> types while restoring backward compatibility, and if so we won't lose
>> anything by making the change. I'm in favor of this change, but I may have
>> overlooked something. Thoughts?
> I would be in favor too, but having not being able to code much in
> numpy the last few months, my opinion should not carry too much
> weight. I don't know how many people install numpy from github
> nowadays (which are the first "victims" when ABI breaks)
>
> cheers,
>
> David

It is important to hear from people like Keith that build upon numpy and
those that build numpy binaries for distribution especially Windows and
non-gcc stuff like Intel's compilers and MKL.

So while I do count less but I am in favor of it provided that scipy can
build and run correctly with this new numpy.

Bruce