[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:28:58 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando, I'm not checking credentials, I'm curious.

Well, at least I think that an inquisitive query about someone's
background, phrased like that, can be very easily misread.  I can only
speak for myself, but I immediately had the impression that you were
indeed trying to validate his background as a proxy for the
discussion, and suggesting that others had the same curiosity...

Had the question been something more like "Hey Nathaniel, what other
projects do you think could inform our current view, maybe from stuff
you've done in the past or lists you've lurked on?", I would have a
very different reaction.  But this sentence:

"""
I admit to a certain curiosity about your own involvement in FOSS
projects, and I know I'm not alone in this.
"""

definitely reads to me with a rather dark and unpleasant angle. Upon
rereading it again now, I still don't like the tone.  I trust you when
you indicate that your intent was different; perhaps it's a matter of
phrasing, or the fact that English is not my native language and I may
miss subtleties of native speakers.

Cheers,