[Numpy-discussion] distributing wheels & SSE/superpack options

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Dec 7 14:01:38 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow -- took a little while, but presto!  A pile of wheels, ready to go:
>

>> $ ls wheelhouse/
>> Jinja2-2.7.1-py27-none-any.whl
>> pyzmq-14.0.1-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
>> MarkupSafe-0.18-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
>> readline-6.2.4.1-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
>> Pygments-1.6-py27-none-any.whl
>> tornado-3.1.1-py27-none-any.whl
>> ipython-1.1.0-py27-none-any.whl
>>

>> Now, do they work? They do on my machine. Is there somewhere I could put
>> them up so folks could test?
>>

> You can't upload that whole stack anywhere pip finds it automatically.

yeah, that's where I'm still a little confused about pip and a "wheelhouse"
-- other than PyPi, is there a way to put a pile of wheels somewhere and
point pip to them -- i.e. simple http or ftp server or something? Or are
folks going to need to download the whole pile first, then point pip at a
local dir?

Temporarily you can put them on SourceForge or on any public download site.
> Then people can download and install with wheel. If you send me a link to
> those files, then I'll put them up together with the numpy wheels on SF.

Thanks -- I'll try to do that later today.

-Chris

> Ralf
>

>>  -Chris
>>

>> I can create some to try out and put them on a separate folder on
>>> SourceForge. If that works they can be put on PyPi.
>>>
>>> For Windows things are less simple, because the wheel format doesn't
>>> handle the multiple builds (no SSE, SSE2, SSE3) that are in the superpack
>>> installers. A problem is that we don't really know how many users still
>>> have old CPUs that don't support SSE3. The impact for those users is high,
>>> numpy will install but crash (see
>>> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/1697). Questions:
>>> 1. does anyone have a good idea to obtain statistics?

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov