[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Frédéric Bastien nouiz at nouiz.org
Fri Feb 7 09:46:31 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:31 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Matthieu Brucher
> <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> According to the discussions on the ML, they switched from GPL to MPL
>> to enable the kind of distribution numpy/scipy is looking for. They
>> had some hesitations between BSD and MPL, but IIRC their official
>> stand is to allow inclusion inside BSD-licensed code.
>
> If they want BSD-licensed projects to incorporate their code, they need to
> license it under the BSD license (or similar). They are not in a position to
> "allow" their MPL-licensed code to be included in a BSD-licensed project.
> That just doesn't mean anything. We never needed their permission. We could
> be "BSD-licensed except for this one bit which is MPLed", but we don't want
> to be.

I agree that we shouldn't include Eigen code in NumPy.

But what distributing windows binaries that include Eigen headers?

They wrote this on their web site:

"""
Virtually any software may use Eigen. For example, closed-source
software may use Eigen without having to disclose its own source code.
Many proprietary and closed-source software projects are using Eigen
right now, as well as many BSD-licensed projects.
"""

Fred