[Numpy-discussion] Header files in windows installers

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Fri Feb 21 12:28:57 EST 2014

On Friday, February 21, 2014 08:24:15 AM Chris Barker wrote:
> >  I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the numpy installers for
> >
> >> window
> >> do not have an option to install the include files, which appear to be
> >> all that
> >> is needed to compile extensions that use numpy's C-api.
> >
> > That would be a bug. They can't all be missing though, because I'm able to
> > compile scipy against numpy installed with those installers without
> > problems.
>
> agreed -- i have been compiling extensions against numpy on Windows with
> numpy from various binary installers for eyars -- never had a proble (with
> include file,s snaywa...)
>
> ARe you using:
>
> numpy.get_include()

Thank you, problem solved!  Header files are indeed installed and there is no
bug to report.

I only assumed that the header files weren't installed because I couldn't find
them in the include dir inside the python installation, and the installer gave
no options.  I'm not well versed in the normal system for compiling and
distributing python extensions because my extensions are using SIP as they are
heavily integrated with Qt/PyQt.

Thanks,
Matt Newell