[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 06:38:21 EST 2014

On 30/01/14 12:01, Carl Kleffner wrote:

> My conclusion is: mixing different compiler architectures for building
> Python extensions on Windows is possible but makes it necessary to build
> a 'vendor' gcc toolchain.

Right.

This makes a nice twist on the infamous XML and Regex story:

- There once was a man who had a problem building NumPy. Then he
thought, "I'll just use a custom compiler toolchain." Now he had two
problems.

Setting up a custom GNU toolchain for NumPy on Windows would not be
robust enough. And when there be bugs, we have two places to look for
them instead of one.

By using a tested and verified compiler toolchain, there is one place
less things can go wrong. I would rather consider distributing NumPy
binaries linked with MKL, if Intel's license allows it.

Sturla