[Numpy-discussion] binary wheels for numpy?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:56:17 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi folks.,
>
> I did a little "intro to scipy" session as part of a larger Python class
> the other day, and was dismayed to find that "pip install numpy" still
> dosn't work on Windows.
>
> Thanks mostly to Matthew Brett's work, the whole scipy stack is
> pip-installable on OS-X, it would be really nice if we had that for Windows.
>
> And no, saying "you should go get Python(x,y) or Anaconda, or Canopy,
> or...) is really not a good solution. That is indeed the way to go if
> someone is primarily focusing on computational programming, but if you have
> a web developer, or someone new to Python for general use, they really
> should be able to just grab numpy and play around with it a bit without
> having to start all over again.

Unrelated to the pip/wheel discussion.

In my experience by far the easiest to get something running to play with
is using Winpython. Download and unzip (and maybe add to system path) and
most of the data analysis stack is available.

I haven't even bothered yet to properly install a full "system python" on
my Windows machine. I'm just working with 3 winpython. (One even has Julia
and IJulia included after following the installation instructions for a
short time.)

Josef