[Numpy-discussion] Oops - maybe post3 numpy file?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 06:28:58 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> matthew.brett at gmail.com>

> msvc9,
> decisions.
> there.
> >>
> >> I vote that we increment the micro number every time we upload a new
> >> source release, and reserve the postN suffix for binary-only uploads. If
> >> this means we have a tiny 1.10.1 then oh well, there's always 1.10.2 --
> we
> >> probably won't run out of numbers :-).
> >

> > The only difference between 1.10.0 and 1.10.0.post2 is that the latter is
> > signed. Sigh. We need to capture this experience in the HOWTO_RELEASE
> > document. Matthew, can you take care of that?
>
> Is the summary this:
>
> * never have an actual numpy version .postN;
> * releases always have source with a clean Major.Minor.Micro release
> number;
> * binary packages for Minor.Minor.Micro release numbers may have
> filenames ending in .postN

The few times in the past when we've needed to fix a binary, we've just
re-uploaded it with the same name. This seems much preferable to me than
confusing users with a post-fix on PyPi that doesn't even match
``numpy.__version__`` and that is so uncommon that I've never seen it used
anywhere.

If re-uploading with the same name is now disallowed by PyPi (is it?) then
bumping the micro version number as Nathaniel proposes would be the way to
go imho.

Ralf