[Numpy-discussion] GSoC 2017: NumFocus will be an umbrella organization

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 03:28:43 EST 2017

Hi Max,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Max Linke <max_linke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Organizations can start submitting applications for Google Summer of Code
> 2017 on January 19 (and the deadline is February 9)
>
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline?hl=en

Thanks for bringing this up, and for organizing the NumFOCUS participation!

> NumFOCUS will be applying again this year. If you want to work with us
> please let me know and if you apply as an organization yourself or under a
> different umbrella organization please tell me as well.

I suspect we won't participate at all, but if we do then it's likely under
the PSF umbrella as we have done previously.

@all: in practice working on NumPy is just far too hard for most GSoC
students. Previous years we've registered and generated ideas, but not
gotten any students. We're also short on maintainer capacity. So I propose
to not participate this year.

Ralf