[Numpy-discussion] is __array_ufunc__ ready for prime-time?

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 17:28:04 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Klunky, and maybe we could come up with a standard way to do it and
> include that in numpy, but I'm not sure that ABCs are the way to do it.

ABCs are *absolutely* the way to go about it. It's the only way baked into
the Python language itself that allows you to register a class for purposes
of `isinstance` without needing to subclass--i.e. duck-typing.

What's needed, though, is not just a single ABC. Some thought and design
needs to go into segmenting the ndarray API to declare certain behaviors,
just like was done for collections:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.abc.html

You don't just have a single ABC declaring a collection, but rather "I am a
mapping" or "I am a mutable sequence". It's more of a pain for developers
to properly specify things, but this is not a bad thing to actually give
code some thought.

Ryan

--
Ryan May