[Numpy-discussion] Proposal of timeline for dropping Python 2.7 support

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Nov 8 13:00:37 EST 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 18:15 +0100, Ilhan Polat wrote:
> I was about to send the same thing. I think this matter became a
> vim/emacs issue and Py2 supporters won't take any arguments anymore.
> But if Instagram can do it, it means that legacy code argument is a
> matter of will but not a technicality. https://thenewstack.io/instagr
> am-makes-smooth-move-python-3/
>
> Also people are really going out of their ways such as Tauthon https:
> //github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon to stay with Python2. To be
> honest, I'm convinced that this is a sentimental debate after seeing
> this fork.

In my opinion it is fine for us to drop support for python 2 in master
relatively soon (as proposed here).
But I guess we will need to a "LTS" release which means some extra
maintenance burden until 2020.
I could hope those who really need it jumping in to carry some of that
(and by 2020 my guess is if anyone still wants to support it longer, we
won't stop you, but I doubt the current core devs, at least not me,
would be very interested in it).

So in my opinion, the current NumPy is excellent and very stable,
anyone who needs fancy new stuff likely also wants other fancy new
stuff so will soon have to use python 3 anyway.... Which means, if we
think the extra burden of a "LTS" is lower then the current hassle,
lets do it :).
Also downstream seems only half a reason to me, since downstream
normally supports much outdated versions anyway?

- Sebastian