[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate matrices in 1.15 and remove in 1.17?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 14:39:48 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Matthew Rocklin <mrocklin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How would the community handle the scipy.sparse matrix subclasses?  These
>> are still in common use.
>>

> They're not going anywhere for quite a while (until the sparse ndarrays
> materialize at least). Hence np.matrix needs to be moved, not deleted. We
> discussed this earlier this year: https://mail.python.org/
> pipermail/numpy-discussion/2017-January/076332.html
>

>> Somewhat related: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/8162
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest any release in the next couple of years is fine,but the one
> where we drop Python 2 support is probably the worst choice. That's one of
> the few things the core Python devs got 100% right with the Python 3 move:
> advocate that in the 2->3 transition packages would not make any API
> changes in order to make porting the least painful.
>
> Ralf

Agree, we don't want to pile in too many changes at once. I think the big
sticking point is the sparse matrices in SciPy, even issuing a
DeprecationWarning could be problematic as long as there are sparse
matrices. May I suggest that we put together an NEP for the NumPy side of
things? Ralf, does SciPy have a mechanism for proposing such changes?

<snip>

Chuck