[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate matrices in 1.15 and remove in 1.17?

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:02:08 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Stefan van der Walt
<stefanv at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 10:13, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>
> recarrays are another half-hearted feature in numpy that is mostly
> obsolete with pandas and pandas_like DataFrames in other
> packages.
>

> I'm fully on board with factoring out np.matrix into a subpackage.  But I
> would not touch structured arrays; they are quite useful, and sometimes
> perform surprisingly well compared to the other solutions around.

I think Josef specifically meant `recarrays`, which give access to
elements of a structured array via attribute access. I'd tend to agree
with him that those turned out not to be such a great idea. But (I
think) nobody is arguing we should get rid of arrays with structured
dtypes - I use them regularly myself too.

-- Marten