[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate matrices in 1.15 and remove in 1.17?

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 30 17:00:51 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017, at 12:02, Marten van Kerkwijk wrote:
> I think Josef specifically meant `recarrays`, which give access to
> elements of a structured array via attribute access. I'd tend to agree
> with him that those turned out not to be such a great idea. But (I
> think) nobody is arguing we should get rid of arrays with structured
> dtypes - I use them regularly myself too.

Ah, okay, that makes sense!

Which reminds me: while these are quite useful, they're not always
particularly pleasant to use.  A good first improvement would be to
allow columnar printing, and a few utility functions to give you some of
the basic functionality of pandas (calculating descriptive statistics
like mean, dropping NaN rows, some equivalent of groupby).  All these
are only a few lines of Python, but can be annoying to figure out.  If
this sounds appealing, I'd be willing to put together a small NEP.

Stéfan