[Numpy-discussion] NEP: Dispatch Mechanism for NumPy’s high level API

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:39:49 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 8:58 AM Marten van Kerkwijk <
m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we're getting to the stage where an updated text would be useful.

Yes, I plan to work on this over the weekend. Stay tuned!

> For that, you may want to consider an actual implementation of, e.g., a
> very simple function like `np.reshape` as well as a more complicated one
> like `np.concatenate`

Yes, I agree that actual implementation (in Python rather than C for now)
would be useful.

> and in particular how the implementation finds out where its own instances
> are located.

I think we've discussed this before, but I don't think this is feasible to
solve in general given the diversity of wrapped APIs. If you want to find
the arguments in which a class' own instances appear, you will need to do
that in your overloaded function.

That said, if merely pulling out the flat list of arguments that are
checked for and/or implement __array_function__ would be enough, we can
probably figure out a way to expose that information.