[Numpy-discussion] Splitting MaskedArray into a separate package

Hameer Abbasi einstein.edison at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:40:00 EDT 2018

I also somewhat like the idea of taking it out (once we have a first
replacement) in the case that we have a plan to do a better/lower level
replacement at a later point within numpy.
Removal generally has its merits, but if a (mid term) replacement will
come in any case, it would be nice to get those started first if
possible.
Otherwise downstream might end up having to fix up things twice.

- Sebastian

I also like the idea of designing a replacement first (using modern array
protocols, perhaps in a separate repository) and then deprecating
MaskedArray second. Deprecating an entire class in NumPy seems
counterproductive, although I will admit I’ve never found use from it. From
this thread, it’s clear that others have, though.

Sent from Astro <https://www.helloastro.com> for Mac