[Numpy-discussion] Comment published in Nature Astronomy about The ecological impact of computing with Python

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:52:51 EST 2020

Given that AWS and Azure have both made commitments to have their data
centers be carbon neutral, and given that electricity and heat production
make up ~25% of GHG pollution, I find these sorts of
power-usage-analysis-for-the-sake-of-the-environment to be a bit
disingenuous. Especially since GHG pollution from power generation is
forecasted to shrink as more power is generated by alternative means. I am
fine with improving python performance, but let's not fool ourselves into
thinking that it is going to have any meaningful impact on the environment.

Ben Root

https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/the-cloud?energyType=true
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-au/global-infrastructure/sustainability/#energy-innovations
https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data