[Numpy-discussion] Comment published in Nature Astronomy about The ecological impact of computing with Python

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:06:40 EST 2020

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 11:54 AM Benjamin Root <ben.v.root at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that AWS and Azure have both made commitments to have their data
> centers be carbon neutral, and given that electricity and heat production
> make up ~25% of GHG pollution, I find these sorts of
> power-usage-analysis-for-the-sake-of-the-environment to be a bit
> disingenuous. Especially since GHG pollution from power generation is
> forecasted to shrink as more power is generated by alternative means. I am
> fine with improving python performance, but let's not fool ourselves into
> thinking that it is going to have any meaningful impact on the environment.
>
> Ben Root

Bingo. I lived through the Freon ozone panic that lasted for 20 years even
after the key reaction rate was remeasured and found to be 75-100 times
slower than that used in the research that started the panic. The models
never recovered, but the panic persisted until it magically disappeared in
1994. There are still ozone holes over the Antarctic, last time I looked
they were explained as due to an influx of cold air.

If you want to deal with GHG, push nuclear power.

<snip>

Chuck