[Persistence-sig] newbie on this list

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl@gmx.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:14:30 +0200

> You're in the right place.

That's good to know :-)

> I think there are two possible outcomes of this SIG:
>
> 1) we develop a persistence layer that's easy to understand; or,
>
> 2) we make ZODB's persistence layer easy to understand.

are you talking about the usage of such a persistence layer or the inner
workings? The usage of ZODB is nearly as easy as it can get.

> I think ZODB is amazingly useful and extensible.  It meets all the
> requirements you listed and more; with a little extension it can store in
> plaintext in any database.  But extending ZODB requires deep Python zen,
> and even a little C zen.

Well, any piece of software that uses object introspection, imports on the
fly and the likes will be kind of complicated. The only question is if the
user has to see that.

> So we want to either reduce or replace that complexity, so that we can all
> reuse a common persistence layer.

O.K. I reread the this SIGs scope and can see now where this is heading.
Basicly, we aim for a persistence API just like the db API.

Woudn't it be nice to have at least a rudimentary query interface as well? (I
know, it's not covered by this SIG). Somesting like
getObjects(attr <string>, regExp <match string>)
returns a list of objIds (or a list of objects).

I'm still not sure where to begin? Should one have a look at the ZODB code?
Or just post everything that comes to mind?

> Shane

Stephan